Monday, July 21, 2008

Week 10 of 17: July 21 - July 27

July 26th, Team Practice in Santa Monica: Today we did what's called a brick, which is when you practice 2 sports back to back and importantly the transition between them. We did 2 bike/run bricks: 7 mile bike/1 mile run/7 mile bike/1 mile run/7 mile bike

Because I am using caged pedals (not the kind that clip in), my transitions simply consist of me getting off my bike and hanging it on the rack. I don't need to change shoes like many of my teammates do. This said, I've been advised to get the bike shoes and clip-in pedals for efficiency on the bike. Before the 2nd bike ride, I ate one packet of GU, which is basically a caffeinated gel and it helped the rest of my practice - a lot. 

Practicing with the team helps a great deal with my time. I noticed I'm faster with the group and it seems all the time on the bike in the last few weeks is paying off. I am no longer in the last half of the group, more like the middle. I couldn't get Kraftwerk's Tour de France out of my head during all the bike rides! Thanks to my coach Tim, who after my 2nd run said, "Come on, one more lap. You've got time." I reluctantly set off, but now I'm glad I did. 



Above photos by Chris


July 25th: 15 mile bike ride, 3 mile run

July 24th, Team Swim Practice at Santa Monica pool: Swam roughly 1400m. Practiced sighting and various drills.



Thanks to Chris Herrera for taking these photos.

July 23rd: Biked 18 miles to Hermosa Beach and back and ran 5 miles, getting faster.


Posing at Manhattan Beach Pier. Yes, I am wearing a visor and helmet at the same time.



Views while riding on the Strand. 

 

Going home.

July 22nd: Swam for 30 minutes at the Santa Monica pool. I think the distance was roughly 3/4 of a mile

Tonight was our team's re-commitment party, meaning to commit to completing the triathlon and not dropping out. Here are some photos of the event, which was at Barney's Beanery on the 3rd Street Promenade.

Teammates Barbara and Jeannine


July 21st: Biked 18 miles to Hermosa Beach and back, ran 5 miles (very slowly), yoga in the evening.

No comments: